top of page


Constructed by John Haywood and completed in 1799, Haywood Hall is a rare survivor of Raleigh's federal period. It was the first house to be built inside Raleigh’s city limits. Today, Haywood Hall is the oldest house on its original foundation within the original city limits of Raleigh. Only four generations of Haywoods occupied this house ongoing until 1977. When Mary Haywood Fowle Stearns, the 4th generation great-granddaughter of John Haywood bequeathed the house and lot to the Colonial Dames of America in the State of North Carolina, to be maintained as a historic site in memory of her mother and father, Governor and Mrs. Daniel G. Fowle.


One of the most glorious works of art at Haywood Hall is Eliza's Garden. Eliza, the wife of Treasurer John Haywood began her garden in 1809. It was full of beautiful flowers, shrubs and fruit trees including 10 different colors of double flower hyacinths, yellow roses, tulips, lilies and a grape vine whose cutting had originated in France. Some of these original beginnings remain and flourish. Today, the garden is centered around the Brazilian magnolia tree that is over 200 years old. We like to think Eliza would smile if she knew how often her garden is used for weddings and celebrations!



The home boasts furnishings that chronicle its full history - from early 19th century to 1979, including nearly a dozen family portraits and a permanent doll collection. Many of the furnishings are original, were purchased from England, shipped to Charleston, SC, and brought by mule and wagon to Raleigh. The trim and floors are original to the home as well. In addition to being a perfect example of Federal style architecture, the house had a grand room that when it was built was the second largest room in Raleigh. It was so large, in fact, that the North Carolina general assembly could meet there.


Haywood Hall was built in 1799-1800 with the chief architect and builder Rhodom Adkin, who
was a prominent architect and builder in Raleigh at the time and had been involved in the
design and building of the first Capitol (State House) building. The basic Federal Classic architectural style is evidenced by the double front porch and central passage plan, flat panel doors, classic style columns and interior wainscoting. The house and surrounding area functioned like a city plantation with the kitchen, storage, and service buildings on the outside, along with gardens and livestock, and later a family cemetery. Two of John Haywood's daughters operated a school on the property for 38 years until the 1870s. Three of the outside buildings remain.

bottom of page